Did you get wrapped up in the idea of New Year’s Resolutions? How did that feel? What did you focus on? Where are you with those resolutions right now?
I’m not so big on “resolutions” but I am big on dreams, visions, questions, stories.
What’s the story you want your life to tell? What do you want to do that will give you the feelings you want to feel? What steps do you have to take to create that feeling, do that thing?
Four Steps to Writing Your Own Story for 2015.
1. Ask yourself questions. What do you want to be different? What habits do you have that give you good feelings, positive feelings, make you feel good about you? What habits would you like to change or develop more of? How are your habits contributing or detracting from the story you want your life to tell. What kind of words are you using when you talk to yourself, about your dreams, your desires? When you talk to others about yourself?
2. Actually write the story. Sit down, pen and paper, paper and pencil, at your mac, however you like to write and write out the story you’d like to see played out. Important note *** the story YOU want to see played out***. Not the story you think “should” be played out and especially not the way you think other people think your story should go. Write the story that feels good to you in a way that feels good doing it.
3. Commit to living your story. Keep that story forefront in your mind. Add the new habits you’d like to develop. The muscle you want to strengthen. Habits are practice. Practice creates change. Tiny shifts add up to big change.
4. Check in with yourself regularly. Are you keeping to the story? When you get off track, steer yourself back and before you know you are doing the thing, living the way, being the you, you dream of being.
Need a little prompt? Here’s how they movie makers at Pixar begin.
Once upon a time there was a _______________.
Then one day______________.
and because of that _______________.
and because of that________________.
Until finally ____________________.
The story you tell yourself is the story you live. What’s the story you want your life to tell? Feel free to share it here. And when something pops up that doesn’t go along with your story, its ok to yell “PLOT TWIST” pick up your pen and write yourself a new loving, promising, exciting, (put your own words here) next chapter. You get to decide how YOUR story goes.
I’d love to hear your story. I’d love to hear you say, “I’m doing it.”
“It’s New Years Day. I thought I would feel differently. Better. Excited. More hopeful, but what I really feel is kind of bummed. Disappointed. I don’t feel like I thought I would feel at all.” She said.
I’ve been thinking about that conversation. It seems like “everyone else” is amped for the new year. Spouting off about resolutions and goals. Like we’ve all got our rally caps on, especially those of us who got our asses kicked in 2014 in some way or another. We were maybe hoping for some New Years Day Magic Spell to put us on the path of our dream life. Hoping that we would wake up after a solid week of holiday celebration and feel like we won the feel good lottery. That things would just be lined up when we woke up. And we would feel this “feeling.” Finally.
I felt that way too. Full of optimism as I danced out of 2014 and a little disappointed that I didn’t feel so magical the next day. I got it.
2014 was an emotional ass kicker for me. I want fresh. New. I put on my rally cap, then I put on my yoga pants and got a little introspective and starting truth talking with my heart.
The truth is, it doesn’t work that way. It doesn’t just happen. Three things have to happen first.
1. You have to name your desired feeling.
2. You have to do what it takes to create that feeling in all areas of your life.
3. You have to make that feeling and what it takes to create it a habit.
And then you have to Believe in IT. Believe IT whatever your IT is. That IT can be done, IT can be felt. Believe IT’s in You.
No Thing, No Job, No One can make you feel the way you want to feel. The feeling has to come from you.
The key to making this “Your Year” is YOU.
That’s something I am digging into with You this year. Starting with a “Heart” Workshop on January 11th at Studio BE Pilates with yoga, thought provoking conversation, treats and a little help from some friends.
Registration is open now. Click here to get the details.
We are going to spend an afternoon, opening up your heart, finding out what really makes you happy dance and creating the steps to feeling the way YOU want to feel in 2015. You DESERVE it.
Can’t make the workshop? Schedule a 30 minute Free coaching call to jump start your “YOU YEAR.” Click here to make a date with me. We’ll dig into the desires of your heart together.
I can’t wait to dance with you in 2015!
Family Recovery Advocate
I serve women seeking healing and transformation.
I serve people who have been impacted by addiction recover their lives.